The early 1800's were turbulent times in British Isles. About the year 1825 a group of young men met at Trinity College, Dublin, seeking a way they could come together for worship and communion simply as fellow Christions, without denominational barriers. From there the movement spread to England and over the world.
In the 1930's A Canadian evangelist, Lester Wilson became burdened to preach the gospel in North Carolina. He held campaigns in many cities, including Burlington. In those days these meetings would last several weeks. The Lord blessed these efforts and assemblies were established in Raleigh, Winston Salem, Greensboro, Siler City, Durham, and Burlington.
In July 1942, Lester Wilson rented a large tobacco warehouse in Burlington, which is between Greensboro and Durham, and started meetings, assisted by Ernest Gross. Souls were saved and Christians contacted. Mr. Gross cared for the work until he left for South Carolina in June 1943. Mr. Wilson held three more campaigns in Burlington. A simple hall was built there in about 1943, and a larger Ireland Street Chapel in Burlington was built in 1946.